Top Ten Books that make Great Gifts
I was away for a couple of days and couldn't find time to reply to the comments on my previous post. I'll get to that a bit later, along with some serious blogging that I dearly missed. But let me start with a Top Ten Tuesday post - a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new topic every week and this week is a freebie.
1. Life of Pi by Yann Martel - Despite the Booker prize, I think this book is seriously underrated. My sister received this as a gift; she loved it and so did I! In fact, I don't know anyone who hated this book. It's unique, well written, exciting and also very moving. I think it makes a perfect gift!
I have always considered books to be the perfect kind of gift - there's hardly anyone who totally hates reading. Many of my friends' birthdays are coming up, not to mention, my own birthday is less than a month away. So, this week I'm going to list ten books that I think would make perfect gifts for everyone (no matter what age they are or genre they prefer!)
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - This book is amazing. And if you're going to be skeptical about that, I have to say I was doing just that until a few months ago. The book is brilliantly written, with an intricate plot and fascinating characters! I would gift it to any of my friends and would love to have it gifted to me (say...for my birthday?!)
3. The Godfather by Mario Puzo - The Godfather is another one of those books that (almost) no one actually hates. In fact, everyone I know, girls and guys, love this book. It would be a great gift, and I actually remember having given it to someone as a birthday gift.
4. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome - This book is hilarious; one of the funniest books I have ever read. It is situation comedy, written in such a simple manner that anyone who reads it is bound to love it. I can't think of a book I could relate to more. It would be a great gift, for all ages, really!
5. Love Story by Erich Segal - I guess this one is sort of a "love it or hate it" kind of book. It's just I know more who've loved it than hated it. Maybe it's just a you-want-to-read-it-once kind of book. Either way, it might be one of the okay-ish love stories I've read. And I just know too many people who love love stories.
6. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein - I gave this book to my best friend on her birthday. I didn't love it when I read it, but she totally did. I'd also given her a Harry Potter book, but in retrospect, I think this one made a better birthday gift than that. Mainly because it is sort of an introduction to the Lord of the Rings series; but unlike Harry Potter, it's also a stand alone book.
7. Agatha Christie - Although I have hardly read any books by her, I think she has written the sort of detective fiction that is loved by everyone. Her books are funny and smart, and not too Sherlock Holmes-ey either. I love Hercule Poirot, though Christie's books without her usual protagonists are also nice. Many years back, I had even given one of my friends And Then There Were None on her birthday.
8. I, Robot by Isaac Asimov - I think fans of science fiction will love this book for how awesome it is, and non-fans will like it because, well, it is kind of amazing and at the same time, it isn't too Sci-fi-ey for beginners. This collection of unique, funny short stories would make a great gift!
9. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon - This is a beautiful and touching tale of a young autistic boy, from the point of view of a young autistic boy. It takes you to a place where very few books can. In case of this book, I am somehow not sure many people would buy it for themselves, which makes it a perfect gift.
10. Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - This great combination of fantasy and humour is one of my favourite reads. I might be a bit partial when it comes to this book, but you can't blame me. It is two of the best fantasy and humour authors together - and it may not be the perfect gift for you - but it's definitely the perfect gift for me!!